Food First Institute a collaboration of Renée Loux and the University of Hawaii Maui Culinary Academy
The Food First Institute is committed to excellence in education for gourmet, natural foods, encompassing Gluten-free, Vegan (dairy-free), Raw Foods, Macrobiotics and Hawaiian Region Slow Foods culinary arts training with a focus on locally-grown whole foods.
The Food First Institute has been founded by organic chef Renée Loux in collaboration with Maui Culinary Academy External Coordinator, Chris Speere, in response to the growing demand for culinary professionals skilled in the art of gourmet natural and organic foods and health-supportive cuisine. This comprehensive program frames basic and advanced techniques including dairy-free (vegan), raw food, macrobiotic, and gluten-free cuisine.
The educational basis behind the interactive program prepares culinary students and professional chefs for the growing demand for natural foods in health spas, restaurants, hotels, private chef and catering sectors.
The program framework incorporates eastern/western nutrition and specific food criteria to empower students and professionals with skills and information to turn a passion for alternative cooking techniques into a career or enhance an established career with tools to advance services and expertise.
Students will be immersed in a variety of dietary paradigms integrating classic cooking techniques and traditions with innovative culinary preparation approaches.
Three levels of course will be offered, designed for a spectrum of education and training, from basic to in-depth.
[LEVEL 1] Natural Gourmet Cuisine Basics 4.5 hours for individuals & professionals to expand their culinary repertoire
[LEVEL 2] Natural Gourmet Cuisine II 6.5 hours pm for professionals and individulas with at least 5 years practical experience
[LEVEL 3] Natural Gourmet Cuisine III 7 hours/2 days for professionals to advance skills and services
The Food First Institute Mission:
- To educate and empower students and chefs with the tools, information and culinary skills to succeed in the expanding field of natural foods and health-supportive cuisine.
- To endow students and chefs with the knowledge and comprehension to apply a high level of skill for a variety of dietary choices to serve individual and client needs.
- To foster creative potential for students and chefs to by providing tools and information to develop and enhance successful careers in gourmet natural foods and health-supportive cuisine.
Join Chef Renée Loux for an array of demonstration, partial-participation and hands-on training in integrated cuisine that encompass gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free (vegan), macrobiotic, raw food and Hawaiian Regional Slow Foods.
Participants will be immersed in a variety of dietary paradigms acquiring basic and advanced skills, education and applied expertise with a focus on farm-to-table, locally grown food:
- Principles, benefits and tenets of Gluten-free, Vegetarian, Dairy-free (vegan), Macrobiotic, Raw Foods and Hawaiian Regional Slow Foods
- Specific food criteria for dietary-preferences including substituting ingredients and adapting recipes
- Recipes and techniques to create classic, comfort and innovative food
- Knowledge, theory and practice to advance skill sets and direct services