Water: Facts & Figures

Water is arguably the most important and precious elements of life. Both our body and our planet are made up of about 70% water, and both intimately depend on it for health and harmony. Water gives life to everything that grows.

Good ‘ole H2O is the “universal solvent” and the predominant transport for delivery of nutrients and minerals in the body. Water is part of every metabolic process in the body from digestion and absorption to circulation and regeneration. In addition, water is also essential for flushing cellular waste and a major element for elimination and excretion. With out adequate amounts of water, our own metabolic waste will poison our bodies. So drink deeply!

We absolutely must stay hydrated and restore water that is continuously lost through sweat and elimination. The quality of water we use to replenish our body greatly determines the ease of function and comfort of corporal happiness and health. Pure, clean water is the spring of life for a pure, clean body.


There is no such thing as new water. Water is a finite resource and we cannot make more of it. Empirically, to the last drop, the same amount of water exists today as a billion years ago. This essential element is continuously reused and recycled on our planet. The importance of stewarding our precious water for life is inimitably evident.

Facts about Water, the Human Body and Our Planet

•     As infants, our bodies are about 80% water. As adults, we are about 70% water. Part of the aging process is a slow dehydration. Staying juicy and hydrated means staying young.

•      Pure water is 7.0 pH. Perfectly neutral and just right, neither acid nor alkaline.

•       Water dissolves more substance than any other fluid. It carries minerals and nutrients, chemicals and toxins into the body, within the body, and out of the body.

•     8 cups of pure water every day is the ideal goal. It is nature’s beautifying tonic.

•     Fresh juicy foods, like raw fruits and vegetables are a great source of organic water to keep the body hydrated. 

•     We can survive almost a month without food, but less than a week without water.

•     By the time you actually feel thirsty, you have lost about 1% of the total water in your body, which is pretty extreme.

•     Caffeine is a mild diuretic, which prevents water from traveling to where it needs to be in the body. So if you enjoy tea or coffee, up the ante on your water intake.

•     70-75% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water. Only 1% of all the water on the planet is fresh water that is accessible. The other 99% is seawater and locked up in glaciers and icebergs.

•     There is more fresh water underground than on our Earth’s surface.

•     The amount of water on the planet does not change. There are roughly 326 million cubic miles of water that circulates around the planet in one form or another. Disturbingly, more and more of it is contaminated and polluted every day.

•     On average, every American uses 160 gallons of fresh water every day. That is severely excessive.

•     The U.S. uses 80% of the Nation’s water for irrigating industrial agriculture and cooling thermonuclear power plants, both of which are leading causes of water pollution.

Tagged:   good to know smart (green) living